Fix Up Look Hard

Sunday 13 March 2011

Comedy genre research

Comedy films are produced to make the audience laugh that is what I want to try do by producing my film "Fix up look hard”.

The comedy genre humorously exaggerates the situation, the language, action, and characters.

Comedy genre films gives the escape for the audience from day-to-day life.

They usually have happy endings, although the humor may have a serious or pessimistic side.

There are different types of comedies:

Comedies usually come in two general formats comedian-led with jokes or sketches and situation-comedies that are told within a narrative.

Comedy hybrids commonly exist with other genres, such as musical-comedy, horror-comedy, and comedy-thriller.

Comedies have also been classified in various sub genres, such as romantic comedy, crime/caper comedy, sports comedy, teen or coming-of-age comedy.

Slapstick comedy

Slapstick was predominant in the earliest silent films, since they didn't need sound to be effective.


Here are some films I looked at.




This is research is really helpful because the comedy film I will create I am not allowed to use any dialogue which follows codes and conventions of a slapstick comedy.

I looked at Charlie Chaplin because he known as a actor, film director of the silent film era and his silent films are really effective even though it don't have dialogue.

What I learn was that in silent films that actions of the characters, facial expressions , body language need to be really clear for the audience to understand the narrative and the comedy element. Therefore I need to really think about my characters actions and to make sure the mise en scene works well together for the audience to obtain the meaning I want them to get out of the film and not to be confused.


I also looked at more modern comedies the big mainstream films specially ''Home Alone'' as me and my group decided we want to have the prank element which ''Home Alone'' has.




This film follows a comedian-led type due to the pranks. What I learnt about researching the film is that sound has a lot to do with telling the narrative as before Charlie Chaplin films relied on the acting. I looked at this film because it had similar theme of what I want to make.


The other films that is similar to ''Home Alone'' is ''Dennis The Menace'' as it had the prank element in it.



The other theme in my film what I will have and it will focus on is revenge and bullying the best example of this would be ''Mean girls'' as the character have a conflict and do things to get back at each other.




As we wanted our film to also have the bullying theme to learn more about it I looked at the film ''Elephant'' which really had a strong meaning and a shocking ending a shooting due to bullying.





The other film I looked at was "Eden Lake" which is a British film which had a really strong themes of bullying throughout the whole of the film.




What have I learnt?

By researching these and looking at the comedy genre I learnt that more about the characters in the comedy film and I also learned about themes I want in my film and the way the directors of each film show that, however I needed to have in mind that am not allowed to use dialogue in my film.


No comments:

Post a Comment